Monday, January 28, 2013

This weeks poem is a free write. As promised I have two to choose from... Please just remember this is art as you read them.



Poem #1=My House is Not My Home

My husband and I
pulled sea foam green carpet
from your floors.
We picked color swatches
for our babies rooms.
We stained your oak mantle
to match the trim.

For seven years
we slowly made you our own.



Inside your walls
our young faces found wrinkles.
Our tears fell upon babies’ cheeks
and their lips suckled upon my breast.

I rocked our children in that chair
that now sits broken at the curb
by the trash.

I’ve made love on the mattress
that is now in the dumpster in your drive.
I’ve had sex on that table
that I gave to a stranger.
I was a naughty girl on that washer
that sits out back.

I cried tears of anger in your garage
that is now filled with boxes.
I found comfort in your bathtub,
that is bleached to perfection for show.
I made firewood from that tree in the front yard
not a trace of it’s to be found.



Your walls now echo like a dead man’s voice
at the bottom of the sea.

The void fills your spaces.
What was “us” is now gone.

You are brick and mortar,
plaster and beams.

You are just a house
we are what made you a home.



Poem #2= Red Daisy

I am just a lonely wildflower
blowing cold in the breeze.

How advantageous they would feel
to know me.

I am not the tempest
just blessed with the bane
of beauty.

I grew up to know myself as homely
and defective.

I am a red daisy among
the jealous whites.
I sway alone as they snicker
at my despair.

The frogs, they come
casting their tongues
at my fair petals.

The hummingbirds gander my way,
before retreating to the whites.
Their fleeting looks leave a stain.

The swallows, the bees and the grubs
nose at me,
prod at me
caress my stem.

Ally or adversary alike,
I am still a forsaken wildflower.

A red in a field of whites.

2 comments: