Sunday, January 20, 2013

Object Poem

Okay everyone I am digging into my writing courses at school.. This semester is a poetry class. Every time I write for an assignment I end up doing more than one poem, then I struggle to decide which one to turn in. Sooooo I thought it would help me keep up with my blog and decide which one to turn in. For each assignment I will post at least two entries and I ask of you all to comment on which one to turn in. In return I will share in the end which one I turned in and the class/ professor feed back.

I will also post my final writings from last semester :)

Poem #1

Dead Man's Boots

The sands embedded in it's grooves
like scars in flesh.

The smell of leather tainted and putrid
like slaughter left to rot.

A tired ox humped over.

A stealth gazelle
peaking from the brush.

A geographic tongue
cracked by the acidic laces.

Distressed leather
like the new Dolce and Gabbana bag.

Their emptiness is an explosion.
No words can express
the bleakness.

Not a single soul slips inside them.

A former bearer of burden
now retired and pushed aside:
like a forgotten tool left to rust.

They are the broken promise
"No Man Left Behind."



Poem #2

Old T-shirt

It no longer smells like its wearer
but like my perfume.

It's original scent has faded
many years ago.

I find it hard to find any of Him left
on this old t-shirt.

It is worn, holy, and the colors of the tie-dye have faded
to a dull and ugly representation of its past.

Like it's owner it's time is gone.
The psychedelic memories of its toxicity
are equal to the reality of His demise.

This last remaining t-shirt's cotton
is stretched both long and wide,
but the comforts of it still remain
as it covers me.

When it is time for it to retire
it is plunged into the deep river
of foam and froth.

Ready to be rejuvenated, ready to be
cleansed.

Yet This faded t-shirt
is just a lifeless thing.

As lifeless as it's owner
and the memory it now brings.


Okay... One last note for your decision. The assignment is to write about an object using metaphor and simile.Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment