Monday, February 11, 2013

The Fallen—Poem

Tell me what you think... This weeks poem. If you are/were a service member and have anything to add ( like if I did not represent something correctly) please give me your feed back. I write this stuff because I love you all and would like nothing more than to be able to honor you all in my writing :)


The Fallen

That funeral is tomorrow.
I pull out my Full Dress Whites,
and fold his mothers flag, like an infantry man.

He was in my brigade my first tour.
My Class A Greens are wearing thin,
that funeral is tomorrow.

I remember when he was eleven
he said, “Daddy, I want to be like you,”
as I laced up my boots, like an infantry man.

I heard it on the news,
he was a boy from my own town.
"That funeral is tomorrow,”

I cried. Where are my Dress Blues?
I shaved my face and stood at the gate
holding the American flag, like an infantry man.

Others came too, each with their own flag in hand.
We were silenced and striped in white, green and blue.
That funeral is tomorrow.
We all lace our boots like infantry men do.

1 comment: